407-599-3298
Winter Park Fire-Rescue LogoBack To Top

April is National Pet Month!

Posted on 04/15/2021

Did you know that April is National Pet Month? We'd like to take a moment to discuss pet fire safety tips with you so you can keep your furry loved ones safe. While pets provide us with friendship, love, and comfort they can also cause fires. It's important to make sure your home is safe for your whole family.

The saying "curiosity killed the cat" was created for a reason. Pets or wild animals have a part in starting about 750 home fires per year. These involve cooking equipment, fireplaces, chimneys, space heaters, lamps, bulbs, wiring, and candles. Pets are curious by nature, they may bump into, turn on, or knock over cooking equipment. It is important to keep pets away from candles, countertops, lamps, space heaters, and stoves. You may consider swapping out traditional candles for battery-operated, flameless candles, many look and smell like real candles.

If your home has a fireplace be sure to always use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen, and keep it in place. These glass doors and screens can stay dangerously hot for several hours after the fire goes out.

Some pets may be prone to chewing. Make sure pets don't chew through electrical cords and have any issues checked by a professional. Be sure to test your smoke alarms at least once per month, and have working smoke alarms on every level of your home. If the smoke alarm goes off, get out and stay out. Never go back inside for pets in a fire, always inform firefighters if your pet is trapped.